Now that the workflow has been associated with the form, you can submit the product to the workflow process, and also perform approval steps.
NOTE: This is part of the Developing a Product Approval Workflow in Dynamics AX 2012 blog series where we show how to develop a completely new workflow to manage the new product approval process. If you want to see all of the other posts in this series, click here.
How to do it…
To submit and act upon the workflows through the Dynamics AX forms, follow these steps:
- The first thing that you will notice now that the workflow has been associated with the form is that there will be a workflow header at the top of the form. This allows you to see the workflow that is associated with the form, and also submit the record to the workflow.
- If you click on the icon just to the left of the Submit button, Dynamics AX will show you the submission instructions that you have defined for the workflow.
- To submit the product to the approval workflow process, all you need to do is click on the Submit button.
- This will open up a comment dialog box. If you want, you can enter any comments into the Comment field, and then click the Submit button.
- The Submit button will change now to reflect the options for the current workflow step. In this case we will see the Approved and Rejected options for out manual decision, and also the standard Delegate and Cancel workflow actions.
- If you click on the View History action, you will be able to see the current status of the workflow, and also all of the steps that have been performed up until this point on the workflow.
- If you click on the Approved action, the workflow processor will open up a comment dialog box. If you want, you can enter any comments into the Comment field, and then click the Approved button.
- Now that the approval process is complete, the Actions button will only show the View history option.
- If you click on the View History action, you will be able to see that the status of the workflow is completed and also see when it was completed.