Manually Assigning a Product Cost
Every product that you are using should have a cost defined against it. In this example we will show how you can manually assign a cost to your Released Products within Dynamics AX.
NOTE: This is part of the Configuring Costing and Cost Sheets in Dynamics AX 2012 blueprint series where we show how to configure costing within Dynamics AX, and also how to set up a costing sheet to better view and analyze the costs. If you want to see all of the other posts in this series, click here.
How to do it…
To manually assign a product cost, follow these steps:
- To update your product costs, open up the Released products form from within the Common group of the Product information management area page.
- Select the product that you want to assign the cost to, and then select the Item price menu button from the Set up group of the Manage Costs ribbon bar.
- When the Item Price form is displayed, click on the Ned button in the menu bar to create a new record.
From the Price type dropdown, select the Cost option.
Note: you can also assign the Purchase and Sales prices here as well.
- Now select your Costing Version that you want to assign the cost to.
If you have defined a default site for your costing version then you will not need to enter that here. All you need to do is enter the cost that you want to assign to the product in the Price unit field.
Note: If you want, you can change the default From date to a later date.
- Once you have saved your record, you can click on the Activate button in the menu bar.
- If you switch to the Active prices tab on the form you will be able to see all of the Costs and Prices that have been defined for your product.
- You can now click the Close button to exit out of the form.